FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What is the Treasurer’s Office mailing address and telephone number?
Town of Culpeper Treasurer's Office
400 S. Main St, Suite 109
Culpeper, VA 22701
- Does the Treasurer’s Office have an after hours deposit drop box?
Yes. The box is located outside of the Town Municipal Building, 400 S Main St, Culpeper, VA 22701.
- What are the hours of operation of the Treasurer’s Office?
The Treasurer’s office is open 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- What are the methods available to pay?
Real Estate and Personal Property Taxes
- When are Town real estate and personal property taxes due?
The due date for real estate and personal property taxes are January 31st of the year following the calendar tax year. For example, 2011 real estate taxes are due January 31, 2012.
Can I pay my real estate or personal property taxes with a credit card?
Yes. The Town of Culpeper accepts credit card payments in the form of VISA, Mastercard and Discover. There is a $2.50 convenience fee and can be paid Online.
- The name on my real estate tax bill is incorrect. How do I get it changed?
The name listed on tax bills are based on the owner of the property on January 1st of the tax year. Therefore, any changes after this date of the calendar year will not be reflected until the following year.
If there were no changes to the property during the year, we recommend that you check the deed of trust with the County Clerk’s Office, (540) 727-3438.
Next, contact the County Assessor's Office, (540) 727-3411, to determine if an error occurred while transmitting the information to the Treasurer’s Office.
Finally, if no errors occurred, you will need legal consultation to get the name changed.
- Do I owe Town and County property taxes if I live in Town?
Yes. If you live in the Town, you are required to pay Town and County property taxes.
- How do I change the mailing address on my real estate tax bill?
Contact the County Assessor's Office, (540) 727-3411, to change the mailing address.
- How do I change the mailing address on my personal property tax bill?
Contact the Commissioner of Revenue, (540) 727-3443, to change the mailing address.
- Who do I contact to add or drop a vehicle from my personal property tax bill?
All modifications of a status of vehicle must go through the County Commissioner of Revenue at (540) 727-3443.
- I recently paid off my mortgage/switched mortgage companies. Do I need to notify anyone in the Town?
The Town recommends that you not only contact the Town (540-829-8220) but also contact the County Assessor's Office (540-727-3411).
- How can I pay my local taxes?
- Mail – Please remit payment of taxes to Town of Culpeper, Treasurer’s Office, 400 S Main St, Suite 109, Culpeper, VA 22701.
- Telephone – The Town accepts credit card payment of taxes over the phone.
- In person – The Town offers walk-in customer service. The location is 400 S Main St, Suite 109, Culpeper, VA 22701.
- Drop box – The drop box is located outside of the Town Municipal Building, 400 S Main St, Culpeper, VA 22701.
- Online - The Town accepts credit and debit card payments online.
- Can I get a statement of taxes paid to the Town of Culpeper for income tax purposes
Yes. Requests must be written and signed by the taxpayer prior to release of information.
- Why is my state tax refund withheld/reduced?
The Town of Culpeper participates in the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Set-off Debt Program for delinquent taxpayers. If you owed the Town taxes, it is possible your state tax refund was reduced or totally withheld. Please contact the Treasurer’s Office at (540) 829-8220.
- I recently purchased a house in the Town of Culpeper. Why did I get a bill “in care of” the previous owner?
The process to update the new owner of a property can take up to three months.
- I recently received two real estate tax bills. Is the Town billing for improvements to real property?
The Town does supplement real estate taxes for improvements to existing homes and/or new construction. If you received two bills, we recommend checking the account number and contacting the Treasurer’s Office if you have questions at (540) 829-8220.
- Do I qualify for car tax relief?
The Personal Property Tax Relief Act of 1998 provides tax relief for any passenger car, motorcycle, or pickup or panel truck having a registered gross weight of less than 7,501 pounds. The vehicle must be owned or leased by an individual and NOT used for business purposes. A vehicle is considered to be used for business purposes if:
- More than 50% of the mileage for the year is used as a business expense for Federal Income Tax purposes OR reimbursed by an employer;
- More than 50% of the depreciation associated with the vehicle is deducted as a business expense for Federal Income Tax;
- The cost of the vehicle is expensed pursuant to Section 179 of the Internal Revenue Service Code; or
- The vehicle is leased by an individual and the leasing company pays the tax without reimbursement from the individual.
Vehicles qualified for tax relief are noted on your tax bill and show a reduction for the portion of the tax the Commonwealth will pay. For qualified vehicles, your tax bill is reduced by the applicable tax relief percentage for the tax year on the first $20,000 of value. The Town of Culpeper will be reimbursed by the Commonwealth for the amount of the reduction once you have paid the balance due shown on your bill. If your qualifying vehicle's assessed value is $1,000 or less, your tax has been eliminated and the Commonwealth's share is 100%. Tax relief is calculated using the Town of Culpeper effective tax rate in effect on August 1, 1997.
- Do I qualify for elderly tax relief for real estate taxes?
Elderly tax relief is granted to certain individuals based on age and income level. Please contact County Assessor's Office (540-727-3411).
- I recently move to the Town of Culpeper. Do I need to purchase a decal?
No, once you have registered your vehicle with the DMV, the Town of Culpeper requires no decal.
- What if my utility due date falls on the weekend?
If your due date falls on the weekend or holiday, then the next working day is the due date. For example, if my bill is due on the 31st of the month and this day falls on a Saturday, then payment is considered timely if made on Monday, the 2nd of the following month.
- What if I do not agree with my assessment value?
Any personal property assessment inquiries should be made to the Commissioner of Revenue, (540) 727-3443. Any real estate assessment inquiries should be make to the County Assessor's Office at (540) 727-3411.
- What are the personal property tax rates?
Personal property tax rates are $1.00 per $100 assessed value.
- What is personal property tax?
The Town charges a personal property tax for automobiles, boats, motorcycles, boats and trailers. Businesses are also taxed on certain business equipment.
- How do I set-up utility services in the Town?
The Town requires that you complete and sign an application, attach a copy of the lease or purchase agreement and pay a security deposit. Applications may be obtained at the Treasurer’s Office, located at the Town Municipal Building, 400 S Main St, Suite 109, Culpeper, VA.
- How long do you retain my security deposit for utilities?
If requirements are met and at the request of the customer, then the Town may refund security deposits – after two years for residential customers and after five years for commercial customers.
- How long do I have to pay my utility bill?
The Town allows fifteen days from the bill date to pay your utility bill.
- What if I have a water leak?
If you have a leak, please contact the Treasurer’s Office to report the leak at (540) 829-8220.
- If I fill my swimming pool, will I have to pay for sewer services?
Prior to filling your swimming pool, please contact the Treasurer’s Office to notify us of your intentions at (540) 829-8220. It is possible you will not have to pay for sewer services on the pool fill.
- When can I purchase Town fishing certificates and boating permits?
Town fishing certificates and boating permits are available for sale during normal business hours (8:00 AM to 5:00 PM) at the Treasurer’s Office, located at the Town Municipal Building, 400 S Main St, Suite 109, Culpeper, VA.
- What are the Town’s regulations regarding trash services?
For inquiries regarding trash services, please contact our Public Works Department at (540) 825-0285.
- I would like to rent a pavilion at Mountain Run Lake Park or Yowell Meadow Park. Who would I contact?
For inquiries regarding rental of the pavilions at our parks, please contact our Planning and Zoning Department at (540) 829-8260.
- Where do I pay for my parking ticket?
Payment of parking tickets are made at the Treasurer’s Office, located at the Town Municipal Building, 400 S Main St, Suite 109, Culpeper, VA or you can make payments online.
- Who do I contact to inquire/dispute a parking ticket?
For inquiries/disputes regarding a parking ticket, please contact our Town Police Department at (540) 727-3430.
- When are meals and lodging taxes due?
Meals and lodging taxes are due the 20th of the following month.
- Who do I contact to inquire about meals and lodging taxes?
For inquiries regarding meals and lodging taxes, please contact our Clerk’s Office at (540) 829-8240.
- What do I do with the trash cart when I move?
The trash cart is property of the Town of Culpeper. When you request to have your utility services disconnected, we will be picking up the trash can that was assigned to your property. If the trash cart is not there, a replacement fee of $60.00 will be charged to your account.